Do we really need to include Omega-3 in our daily diet?
Omega-3 IS a part of our daily diet. It's just that we need to boost the amounts we take in! This fatty acid is as important as your daily dose of Vitamin C.
1. Omega- 3 is a mineral made up of superunsaturated fatty acids which are highly essential for special functions in our body. One thing though, it does not occur in the body naturally. It has to come from outside sources —food.
2. Hundreds of years ago, our ancestors' diets of Omega- 3 and Omega-6 were on a 1:1 ratio. Due to our highly modernized lifestyle, this ratio is now at 1:25!!! That's a very huge imbalance! (Now that is depressing... and it's making me hungry — please pass the seaweed and salmon.)
3. Omega- 3 is accessible because they are naturally found in fatty fish such as salmon (not the farm-raised variety), certain seaweeds and flaxseeds.
4. Omega- 3 in chicken eggs? If they are authentically organic or are free range hens, then they do contain this fatty acid. How? Through the flax seeds the hens are fed with.
5. A very good source of Omega- 3 is seaweed! Fatty fish love seaweed and this is where the fatty acid comes from. So let's take a cue from these fish and include seaweed in our daily diet!
6. Omega- 3 promotes healthy heart functions -- it helps prevent heart problems such as irregular heartbeats.
7. Omega- 3 increases memory and improves concentration. No wonder they call fish brain food!
8. Omega-3 helps balance out those mood swings. It could also eventually fight off depression and/or anxiety!
9. Have you read the label of your health supplements and come across DHA and EPA and don't know what they are? DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) are components of Omega-3. DHA is present in every cell of our body!
10. It balances cholesterol levels and lowers blood pressure.
All in all, it supports a healthy cardiovascular system. Deciding to improve your intake of Omega-3s (whether from great food sources or as a supplement) —is one of the smartest things you've ever done for your body. See? You're getting smarter already :-)
Cut the Fat
Trans-fats, that is. This is, I think, the easiest thing to do when altering your diet. We just got so used to deep-fried foods using unhealthy fat. Cut this out for a week and feel the difference in your body.
Supplement this with a few simple seaweed meals (check out the seaweed recipes) and your body will feel renewed.
Did you do anything about taking out trans-fats from your daily diet? Need a little push? Just make the stuff inaccessible to your bouts of instant gratification. If you have margarine or unhealthy oil in the kitchen, throw them out! And, think of other things to do with the family instead of going to your fave fastfood place. So far, we've only been to McDonald's only 3 times since the start of the year. Hey, we're working on it :-)
Reminder: We at oceanvegetables.com have made great effort to ensure that the information on our site is accurate. We do recommend further research and consulting your doctor or your appropriate health professional before making any decisions based on our information. The information contained here have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. We are not liable for any outcome that may result from acting on the information. ***Copyright 2006-2011 Oceanvegetables.com***